Twelve + One: H.K baybey


Monday, April 24, 2006

H.K baybey

I know it wasn’t my first time to HK but every trip is an experience and I’d like to share this one here. Was pretty happy since HK is like the fashion capital of Asia & couldn’t wait to shop! Upon arrival, dad & I put our luggage in the hotel and straight away took the train from Sha Tsui to Mong Kok – the teenagers hangout place. Train makes KL train system seem like a snail. First thing I noticed was that the in thing there is big hair. Almost everyone has dyed hair and if it’s natural black, it’ll most definitely be permed. Saw that there were lots of HK movies we don’t see aired in KL cinemas – 1 thing I’m thankful for otherwise we’d have to face a lot more movies like Mahjong Master. Shopping was good, managed to pick up some nice things but stuff there very mahal oo.. Prefer shopping in Taiwan. Ate Kim Gary style for breakfast almost everyday & now im addicted to their milk tea. First time I really like a caffeinated drink. This is an example of what’s on the menu:


You know how McDonalds in different countries have slightly different menus? Well in HK they have this burger where instead of the bun, the meat patty is wedged between two rice crackers. But the rice crackers get kinda soggy and then it just tastes like rice. First night we ate at a small restaurant and there was a desert on the menu called Osamantha cake with golden foil in Shanghai style. Interesting.. Went to one of those Chinese herbal shops which sell mushrooms and scallops to buy back for my mum when I nearly had a heart attack. Saw big jars full of SEAHORSES! My gawd.. Ppl actually eat those? Looked around properly after that and also saw snake skins and starfish. Guess the saying is true: Chinese eat everything that moves under the sun. But not us right? We are civilized ppl :D

On the 2nd day it was my 1st time setting foot in the homeland of our ancestors! And guess what. I don’t like it =p Glad my horny grandma ran away to Msia. It's so noisy and busy and dirty. It is also official: Camwhoring/capturing is a worldwide phenomena. Saw these 2 girls totally into it at the train station. So into it that when the train came, they were still posing and only squealed and ran through the doors at the last moment. Swt… Attended a trade fair where dad had to do his work bla bla..

I thought I knew many brands until I went to this exclusive area where only branded goods were sold. Some I’d never even heard of before till then like a.testoni, Hogan and Bottega Veneta. Some, I knew of but had never been to since they will never open in Malaysia such as Vivian Westwood, Yves Saint Lauren and Loewe. But the cheapest thing there is 3000HK dollars which is like RM1500 so we could only stare and long. So depressing right.. Also saw Jessica Simpson - the brand. Bloody ex also.. Who she think she is.. Worthy to be designer-wear already?

That night my dad brought me to a famous club called Dragon-i. When he first told me where we were going I thought it was Dragon’s Eye. Anyway, it was very trendy. Everything was in red and black. Another not so good thing bout HK is the price of alchohol. A cocktail there is double the price of one here since import and rent is very ex. There were these group of models just chilling out at the bar, dem pretty and leng zhai and FRIGGIN TALL.

Accompanied dad to another trade fair on HK island on the 3rd morning as he had a meeting with Italian glass factory people. Was a world of difference compared to China. Very classy & organized whereas China’s had been cheapy & messy. Another thing I wont easily forget happened on the morning I was coming back. The bus company was sending some people to Disneyland before dropping us off at the airport and their tour guide was just weird. Quote weird tour guide:
“Disneyland have many many nice characters! Like Snow White. Sometimes is American Snow White, sometimes is oriental Snow White. *Naughty smile* But I like oriental Snow White. Hahaha.” *Seems proud of himself*
*Forced laughter coming frm around the bus*
I felt so embarrassed for him I just covered my face wit my jacket.