Twelve + One: A New York Weekend


Monday, July 27, 2009

A New York Weekend


Hihi! I'm making an effort especially for Abby, because I lubs her so :)



FRIDAY:~

There's a whole new meaning to TGIF when you're a working woman. The weekend is a time to unwind, catch up with your friends, and splurge on the fine life. Ok, so I can't really splurge because my internship is unpaid... But my working friends spend a lot, especially since most of them are in finance. And hanging out with them means I have to spend a lot too... T_T But they really are an extremely nice bunch; some of them often try to pay for my food/drinks discreetly since I'm 'still in school' and 'so young.' So sweet right!


On Friday I attended the opening reception of an art installation in the Bronx. The gallery was full of hipsters sipping drinks & exchanging tete-a-tete. The artist, Tatt Foo, is a friend of my friend's. He's Malaysian! It's quite hard to break into the New York art scene, but he's been doing quite well for some years now, so I'm extremely happy for him and proud too. Malaysia Boleh! :)



Some of his stuff is really abstract, but there is deeper meaning behind all of his work. It was really interesting to hear what he had to say about each one.


Here's Tatt Foo, the artist himself.



My friends & I went traipsing around the whole of New York that night! From Manhattan to the Bronx, and finishing up in Brooklyn.


There was an outdoor film festival in Williamsburg featuring short animations by aspiring film majors. Some were really funny, like there was this stop motion animation about a pot-head chef. LoL! When it ended, we headed to a quaint bar in the vicinity for drinks, chit-chat & finger food.



SATURDAY:~


I explored one of my favorite parts of town - the West Village. I found out that there are more nice places to eat at West Village, whereas there's more to do in the East Village. But both have cutesy boutiques with great clothes :D



That night, it was 'time to make-a-noisy' with the Notorious MSG!


 Last week, I interviewed this independent band called the Notorious MSG for Chief Magazine, and I've been dying to see them perform live! 2 of my besties from Hofstra came with me.


Mike (the blondest kid you will ever meet - his eyebrows and eyelashes are practically invisible! Not, he's not albino. Lol! But I love that kid), Giselle (drama-Queen), & Sammeh Wammeh.


We had mad fun!!! Mike & Giselle thought the Notorious MSG were hysterical. I caught Down-Lo Mein's wife-beater when he tore it off and threw it into the crowd, but I didn't keep it cause it was really sweaty! LOL! I'm not that much of a crazed fan.

After the concert, Mike had to head home since he had to work early the next day. But the night was still young... I went to the after-party of my friend, Sharlene's birthday and Giselle tagged along.


Mostly everyone was Asian at Sharlene's party, and Giselle loved being the minority for once. Hahah! Quite a bit of drama took place that night... AS USUAL. Hais! What's a night out in town without drama? But then again, sometimes it can get sakit hati.



SUNDAY:~

I heart brunch. I hardly have breakfast anymore these days... It's always brunch, tea + dinner.

It's Restaurant Week in New York, and the acclaimed eateries here are going all out to impress. Most restaurants are offering set meals featuring their signatures dishes as well as seasonal items. My foodie friends managed to get a booking at Perry Street, an American-French eatery.


Perry Street is one of Jean-Georges' establishments. In case you're a katak di bawah tempurung... Stolen from Wikipedia: Jean-Georges Vongerichten (German pronunciation: [ʒɑn ʒɔʀʒ vɔŋəˈrɪxtən]) is "one of the most celebrated chefs on the planet."

Prepare to whet and wet your taste buds!



Everyone got a complimentary teacup of Strawberry gazpacho - an unusual twist to the usual chilled tomato based soup from Italy.


Peekytoe Crab Salad

Champagne mango & asparagus.

The dish was classy, but taste wise, I didn't find it spectacular.


Arctic Char Sashimi

Lemon, Olive Oil & Crispy Salmon Skin


Tim's Spinach and Goat Cheese Omelette with Shoe-string Potatoes.

When it first arrived, he was like, "Look at my airplane food." But it obviously didn't taste anything like gross airplane food. The omelet's texture was so smooth and bouncy & the shoe-string fries were addictive!


Grilled Yellowfin Tuna Burger

Bonita Mayonnaise, Shiso & Yuzu Pickles

The pickles were so delicious!


Half a Grilled Yellowfin Tuna Burger (left) and a Char-Grilled Cheeseburger (right).


Sharlene was gonna have a tuna burger, but when she heard that Simon & I were ordering it, she asked for a normal cheeseburger instead; she likes to try as many different things on a menu as possible. So I gave her half my burger & she gave me half of hers. That way, we got to sample both :) The two of us agreed that the beef patty was way more delicious; the tuna burger was a little strange for our liking.



Jigme had the Grilled Tenderloin of Beef with Crunchy Potatoes & Herbal Spinach.



Dessert was a choice of.....


Warm Chocolate Lava Cake with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream


or...


Mixed Berries with Fromage Blanc ice cream.



Sweet dreams~! :)